Buying and Selling Businesses
McIntyre and Company have accepted instructions from business clients for many years and our Solicitors have extensive experience helping clients to build and protect the relationships that create the foundations of successful businesses.
We have acted for a variety of property developers, private investors and licensees in connection with a wide range of Company and Commercial matters, including:-
- Sale and purchase of business premises, including offices, shops, warehouses, garages, hotels, restaurants, public houses and so on.
- Sale and purchase of businesses as going concerns. This may involve granting to a tenant, or taking from a landlord, a lease of commercial premises and assistance in the complex procedures concerning rent reviews, insurance, existing employees, maintenance, dilapidations and the many other obligations mainly taken on by a tenant of business premises.
- Securing of commercial loans over property, by way of the preparation and registration of appropriate security documentation between lender and borrower. Unlike domestic property transactions, in most commercial security transactions the lender and borrower require to be represented by different firms of solicitors. The borrower is responsible for the lender’s solicitor’s fees as well as their own.
- Business start-ups.
- Partnership Agreements, including the preparation of all relevant documentation to set up the business including Contracts of Partnership (or related company formation work)
- Hotel and leisure industry purchases, sales and restructuring.
- The renewal of business leases which may be of particular importance from a tenant’s point of view to ensure security of tenure and the continuity of business and goodwill.
- Rural properties, including the purchase and sale of Crofts and Estates.
- Dealing with claims and disputes, and commercial litigation (including building contract claims) in the Sheriff Court and Court of Session.
In the case of builder clients, advice is available on the many features which must be considered before commencing a development, such as the closure and diverting of roads and rights of way, drainage rights, the making up of roads and agreements with Local Authorities, Certificates issued by the N.H.B.C and a number of other relevant commercial and domestic considerations.
We understand how to get the best out of business relationships, minimising problems and maximising profit for clients of the firm. An understanding of the commercial realities and objectives of our clients is of paramount importance to us. We tailor our service according to the individual needs of our clients, our aim being to deliver a pro-active and cost-effective service of the highest quality.
So, whatever your property or business interests, we are keen to work with you to gain a full understanding of your priorities, in order that we can promote and add value to your business activities.